10 Feb 2015

Diverse Books That Changed Our Outlook + Feb Linky

No one likes books that have undying (or not so subtle) lessons and motives. But I’m always up for discovering a new side of things or go in with an open mind - in books and in life. And today, we have some readers (and authors) stopping by to share how a diverse book changed their outlook and impacted them. Happy reading and don’t forget to link up your reviews and more below!


The book that immediately jumps to mind when I think of one having changed my outlook is OCD Love Story by Corey Ann Haydu, which is a fantastic contemporary YA about a girl named Bea who suffers from Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. A big gamechanger for me was actually when I heard Corey talk about the book at a panel, and she mentioned that OCD is an anxiety disorder, which I hadn't known. The book is so intense, I actually had to put it down several times, but having read it and knowing that about anxiety actually helped me put my own anxiety issues into perspective. For a long time after reading it, whenever my anxiety was really flaring up, I'd think, No, you don't have major anxiety; Bea had major anxiety. That's what that looks like. You are fine. You can handle this. And being able to have that thought process was indescribably huge for pushing through things I don't know that I could have otherwise. It also made me way more conscious of the way the term is thrown around to basically mean "a little neurotic" or "likes things orderly," and while I'm sure I misused it that way before reading it, I know I've never, ever done it since. Like, if you throw that term around casually, I pretty much know you haven't read it. You couldn't have. But you should. -- Dahlia Adler, author of Behind the Scenes

I recently read Hostage Three by Nick Lake (review), and it opened my eyes up to the other lives people lead. The main character’s family is on a summer vacation on their yacht, sailing around the world, when they are taken hostage by Somali pirates. While on board, we get to know a lot of the pirates in addition to the English characters. Their lives are so different and just as compelling, and it made me think about those who are in a situation that may lead to a life of piracy, crime, or anything else, and how it may not be their fault, or they may be doing it to protect loved ones. It was a wonderful eye-opener to how others live that I had never thought of before. -- Cassie, blogger @ Happy Book Lovers


When Rebecca asked me to talk about a diverse book that had an impact on me, I immediately knew I wanted to mention FAR FROM YOU by Tess Sharpe. Anyone who has ever asked me for a LGBTQI book recommendation knows how much I love this book. It's non-linear and follows the lives of two best friends. FAR FROM YOU features a disabled main character and LGBTQI characters. My experience reading it was singular.

Growing up, I wasn't able to put a name to what was different about me. I knew I wanted to read books with characters like me, but I was too afraid to ask. I think if I'd had FAR FROM YOU as a teen, I could have come out sooner. Even though I read it as an adult, I still credit Tess Sharpe's beautiful, tense, haunting book with healing part of that scared girl I used to be. -- Molli Moran, author of As You Turn Away


For me, one of my most recent reads comes to mind - The Secret Side of Empty by Maria E. Andreu. I’d never read a book on an illegal immigrant before this and it just completely opened my eyes to what they go through and face; especially the emotional turmoil, guilt and how they feel ostracised, even as they go undetected, like M.T does. I wasn’t particularly familiar with the subject or the in and outs, only things I’d heard on the news, but I actually couldn’t believe it was the first book I’d read on the matter. Again, this is why diversity in books is so important - it lends a look into the looking glass.

So tell me, which diverse book changed your outlook?

2 comments:

  1. So can we do it any time in Feb?? Because I'd love to write something!

    And I definitely have to read OCD Love Story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kinda late to the party, just getting caught up on posting my February stuff. Happy March reading. :)

    ReplyDelete